Celebrity Names: The Mc’s and the Macs

comments

9 Responses to “Celebrity Names: The Mc’s and the Macs”

miloowen Says:

February 21st, 2014 at 11:42 am

My personal favourites are MacDhui, MacNabb, McHugh, and McKean, but I don’t think I’d ever give them as first names. As someone whose first name is a Scottish surname, I would have preferred having a “normal” first name as a name.

Giinkies Says:

February 21st, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I like Mc Adams

madwomaninabluebox Says:

February 21st, 2014 at 3:17 pm

LuMary Says:

February 21st, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I like McElwain. I imagine it’s pronounced MACKlwin. I think Ian McElwain has a nice ring. I also like Macalistair or spelling variants.

madwomaninabluebox Says:
February 21st, 2014 at 3:17 pm

“My grandmothers maiden name was McKenna. I would love to use that as a first name for a boy, but since it’s been used so much for girls, I am a little apprehensive.”

I have an aunt with the last name McKenna, and I, too, can only see it as a girl’s name.

MeleriHaf Says:

February 21st, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I know a guy whose first name is McDonald. He goes by Mac. It works really well.

Poppy528 Says:

February 21st, 2014 at 5:03 pm

These name all seem better without the prefix. What’s wrong with just Gregor or Kellen or Dermot? I also like the names Mac and Mick all by themselves. I guess I just don’t want my child’s name sounding like a law firm.

Aurora Says:

February 22nd, 2014 at 1:52 am

I was in a buffet line once where I was served by a tall young man whose name tag showed his first name to be McHugh. I was intrigued, especially as his last name was Pierre (!), but I didn’t scrape up the nerve to ask him about it.

The way Mackenzie caught fire, I could see some of these catching on. I think my favorite Mac-contender for a first name is McKay (for a boy), but with all the McKaylas, etc., out there, I probably wouldn’t use it.

MillieMM Says:

February 22nd, 2014 at 12:18 pm

My surname is a Mc- name, if I get married I would definitely consider using my maiden name as a son’s middle name. For a first name, I just think they are “too” surname-y, even more so than Carson or Carter sometimes (though both are on my list) however I do have a love for MacKenzie / McKenzie on both genders; Max, Mack or Keni for a boy, and Kenzie for a girl.

GingerCat Says:

February 23rd, 2014 at 5:27 pm

@Aurora I don’t think think McKay is pronounced in the same way as McKayla its Mc kai not Kay