Bold B-Names and Beyond: Booker, Bowie, Bridget and Bijou

comments

19 Responses to “Bold B-Names and Beyond: Booker, Bowie, Bridget and Bijou”

tfzolghadr Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 6:57 am

I absolutely love Booker. I’m surprised it’s not more popular…

hmahurin Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 7:53 am

I’m a big fan of Booker, as well. Another “B” name I heard recently that I like is Boone. I like it as a middle, more than a first name,

Brynie Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 8:02 am

I like the B name Bryn, but I am a bit bias since its my own name haha :)
I adore Bea, Birdie, Bette for girls however I am not so keen on boy B names.

miloowen Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 9:22 am

I love Brigid. And called me old-fashioned, but I love Barbara too — and I met an Irish child named Barbara and it suited her perfectly.

As for other B names, I’m not big on surnames as first names, but there’s always my family name, Brewster, which shows up all the time as a middle in my family and dates all the way back to William. In fact, my mother — who was named Elaine — was called Brew by her peers all during high school. Had I been a guy, Brewster would have been my middle name as well.

I think the most unusual B name I like is Burl. It’s strong and gentle at the same time, it’s a nature name, and it conjures up a singer with a great voice!

rowgeesee Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 9:25 am

A friend of mine just named her daughter Birdsong. With big brother Bear.

skizzo Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 9:35 am

I like Bowie (for a boy only), it’s elegant and handsome

findemaxa13 Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 11:21 am

I love Bridget, and like Bowie quite a lot–it’s my uncle’s name, but in his case it’s a family surname–he was born wayyyy before David Bowie hit the scene. Booker is kind of a cool name, but I’m not sure it works well in real life, and is very associated as an honorific for Booker T. Washington. Bijou is truly awful, I’m sorry. My favorite B names are Bridget, actually, Brian (it’s dated, but I adore it), Brendan, Brandon (can never decide which of the two I prefer), Benjamin, and Beatrice (somehow, I really don’t like Beatrix, it’s so much harsher, as opposed to the lovely soft Beatrice.)

detailsgirl Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 11:26 am

Does anyone else see Jombe and think of the Genie named Jambi on PeeWee’s Playhouse?

stacietexmex Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 11:27 am

Booker and Bridget are at the top of my list! Our soon-to-be firstborn son (due in 10 days!) will likely be an Archer, so Booker might have to fall into middle name status for a later child to avoid rhyming. :)

vaness1 Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I love Blythe and Bronwen for girls, both of which (I think) are gaining popularity. I also love Beatrix. I like Berlin for a boy, although it does work quite well in the middle, even for girls (I think Ava Berlin is lovely).

SuperZombieMom Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Booker James is my top choice for a boy right now. I just love how it sounds!

maggiemary Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I like Bridget and that’s about it from these.

degrasswizkid Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Detailsgirl, I thought the same thing! I immediately thought “Mecca lecca hi, mecca hiney ho”, I could never name my child that without thinking of a good ole Jambi

I like the name Bowie, unfortunately, I already have a big tom cat named Little David Bowie, “Bowie” for short

degrasswizkid Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Chloe14 Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I love B names my favourites for a girl are Brenda and Bridget.
I think Brenda is a really pretty and a really sweet name I would so use this on my future children.
I really like Bridget but I would not say I would use it though.
For a boy B names are really adorable my favourite B boy names are Brandon and Brodie.
Brandon has a lot of character as far as names go and I would so use this on any future children.
I really like Brodie I think its really handsome and I could just picture this on a little boy.
If I had twins in the way future and if they were a boy and a girl (fraternal twins) I would name them
Brandon Jason and Brenda Maria.

Abby Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 4:26 pm

@rowgeesee – Bear + Birdsong – wow! What a daring duo.

@stacietexmex – How exciting! Can’t wait to hear if you stick with Archer, or change your mind sometime in the 10 or so days! :)

Ysee Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I love Bryony so much but alas, my husband does not. I would love to see it become more popular. I had a brief love affair with the name Bibiane, but I don’t see it working its way up the charts any time soon.

I think every generation has its share of popular B names – Bill, Betty and Barbara gave way to Becky, Brian, Brenda and Brandy, then Brittany, Brandon and Brianna and their offshoots showed up, and now we have Bella, Brooklyn, Brayden and their ilk. If I remember correctly, Bentley was one of the fastest-rising names in the US last year, and I can see other surnamey names like Booker, Blake, Benton, Brady, Brooks and Brogan rising as well. I don’t see Bertha making a comeback any time soon, but other retro names like Beatrice seem ready for revival.

marypoppins Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Two of my favourite names (that have been bookmarked if we have any more kids) start with B: Betty for a girl, and Bruno for a boy.

ashleyf Says:

March 12th, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I’m loving Brynn, and I’ve always loved Bria. Bridget is beautiful. Boone is an interesting one, I’ve heard it used only once! There’s a Christian singer, Britt Nicole, who has a daughter named Ella Brave – I thought that was a pretty yet unique one!