Best Boys’ Storybook Names: Beyond Christopher Robin and Max

comments

18 Responses to “Best Boys’ Storybook Names: Beyond Christopher Robin and Max”

alphabetdem Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 1:09 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the reference to the chronically underrated Phantom Tollbooth! Both the book, and the jaunty name of the main character, are wonderful and amazing and I wish my SO’s last name was amenable to the splendid Milo.

I also adore both Hugo and Rowan.

But seriously. You totally made my day with the shout out to my favorite children’s book of all time. I even have a quote from it tattooed on my foot.

alzora Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 3:46 am

Ebenezer–full form–is my guilty-pleasure name.

I also adore Huckleberry, but I’m surprised that no one talks about the teasing potential of “Huck”? I just can’t see a Huck NOT getting called a rhyming word all the time….

TheFutureMrsB Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 4:59 am

I kind of love Septimus. I always meant to finish that series andnever did.

iwillpraise Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 8:04 am

As soon as I saw the title if this article, my mind immediately went to Bastien from the Neverending Story! Hugo and Robinson are definitely ones I fancy- but not actually on my list. I can’t see us naming a son those. Eban is interesting…. would you say it with a long E as in Ebenezer, or short as in Evan? Reminds me more of ‘Eden’ than anything. Bartholomew is a total no- go for me.

Rowena is one that I’ve often thought would make a nice middle name for girls. It’s got that medieval princess-y sound to which I’d also include Maid Marian :)

iwillpraise Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 8:07 am

Oh, wait, the E in Ebenezer is is short too, isn’t it? Lol. For some reason, Eban makes me want to say EE- ban

LexieM Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 9:28 am

Thanks for listing some of my all time favorite childrens books including ARTIMES FOWL, Huck and Bastian.

Mischa Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 10:14 am

I like most of the names on this blog.

I love Hugo, Milo, Peregrine, Septimus, Bastian, Bartholomew, Eben and Rowan.

I prefer the spelling Artemis for a girl (SHE was a goddess after all) and Artemas for a boy.

I like Ned as a nn for Edmund and Edward.

Indigo is the name of a major book chain store in Canada so I wouldn’t use it for a first name.

I don’t like Huckleberry/Huck or Robinson too much.

maggiemary Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 10:17 am

I love Indigo, and while I know it can be used for boys and girls, I only like it for a boy.

Lyraslife Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 10:34 am

I’m totally in love with the name Artemis. I’ve read the series and I even cried after the last book. I hope to have a boy named Artemis – either as fn or mn. :3

MissusAytch Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 11:36 am

Bastian has been a favorite since I was a kid. I loved the movie Neverending Story.

Have a friend with a daughter named Indigo. They call her Indi. This name feels more feminine than masculine to me.

Rowan was a good choice for girls long before Brooke Shields used it. Anne Rice used it for the heroine of her Mayfair Witch Chronicles series of books in the 1990s. I have always thought of it as a girl’s name for that reason.

Not fond of many of these. Bartholomew and Peregrine are nice in theory but where I grew up and live now they would ensure a little boy would get into more playground tussles than normal. Right or wrong, it’s reality.

UselessKitty Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 11:48 am

Artemis on a boy? No. Just no. How do you tell your son that you named him after a Goddess? There is nothing more feminine.

auroradawn Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Some good books and some good names here…

I’m loving Bartholomew lately (I still read those 2 books to my youngest sister). I love Peregrine and really like Hugo, Milo, Bastian and Rowan. I kinda like Septimus, but I think it’d be a weird choice if he wasn’t…well…the seventh.

This spelling of Artemis feels very strange to me in spite of the books, since she was a goddess. If you want to use it for a boy, I think the spelling Artemas would be a slightly better option.

And I’m surprised more people haven’t discovered Eben. Thanks for the shout-out to “The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs”–I listened to the audio book a few years ago and thought it was a sweet story.

Gretel Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 6:04 pm

In my opinion, the -is ending for Artemis does not seem so overwhelmingly ‘feminine’ as to require ‘masculinization’ to an -as ending – Artemis feels suitably unisex. I’m a little confused about why some think little boys can’t deign to be named after an awesome Greek deity just because said god happens to be female? Why is gender a requisite for naming someone, whereas, say, ethnicity is not? I wish our naming culture was a little less uptight about crossing gender lines when it comes to boys.

So yeah, I would love for Artemis to be used more by bother genders. I think Indigo and Rowan suit boys and girl as well – Rowan is especially charming.

Love Hugo and Milo. I’d probably just use Sebastian instead of Bastian, though. And I wouldn’t mind Huckleberry, Bartholomew and Peregrine becoming more prevalent, even if they’re not personally my style.

Btw, for those of you who’ve read them, are the Saffy’s Angel/Casson Family and Rowan of Win series, enjoyable for young adults as well as kids?

Gretel Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 6:06 pm

In my opinion, the -is ending for Artemis does not seem so overwhelmingly ‘feminine’ as to require ‘masculinization’ to an -as ending – Artemis feels suitably unisex. I’m a little confused about why some think little boys can’t deign to be named after an awesome Greek deity just because said god happens to be female? Why is gender a prerequisite for naming someone, whereas, say, ethnicity is not? I wish our naming culture was a little less uptight about crossing gender lines when it comes to boys.

StrixOniro Says:

April 26th, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I LOVE Septimus Heap, thanks for the reference!

akky3210 Says:

April 27th, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Hey, Gretel–I haven’t read the Casson Family series, but Rowan of Rin is definitely enjoyable for YA as well as MG. For that matter, so are Rodda’s Deltora series. (Yes, series, plural. Lots of lovely books.)

Super happy to see the shout-out to Rowan here, since he is one my favorite protagonists ever, but I don’t think I could give a boy that name. Ironically enough, it’s because I’ve read too many females named Rowan. *shrug*

Bastian has the added advantage of a subtle nod to Shakespeare, what with Sebastian from Twelfth Night.

tori101 Says:

April 30th, 2013 at 5:39 pm

My favourite choices are Bastian (strangely I hate Sebastian), Indigo, Milo, Rowan, and Hugo.

UniqueNameLover Says:

May 1st, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Love Hugo, Indigo, Rowan and Bartholomew. I like Artemis and think it is one of the few traditionally feminine names that work better on boys than girls.