Berry Juice is a collection of the best blogs on baby names, pregnancy, and parenting from around the web, including everything from personal naming stories to the academic study of names, pregnancy information to tips on decorating the nursery.
By Kelli Brady, The Name Freak!
Now that the 2014 SSA list has been released, I can present the “real” Top 50 to you! By combining the different spellings of each name, we can determine which name is truly more popular. Because when you hear “Sophia!” on the playground, you have no idea how her name is spelled, but you know you hear the name a lot. Where does it really rank compared to other names?
By Aimee Gedge
Like many of you, I am an avid consumer of all genres of books from fantasy to crime fiction. When I’m reading, I love looking for new and unusual names to add to my ever-growing shortlist for future children. But it’s not only fictional characters who can supply us with interesting name ideas: many authors have great names that might warrant a Baby Berry namesake.. Here are some of my personal favourites and I really hope to see some of these amazing names crop up in the Birth Announcements soon.
In case you didn’t know, being pregnant on Mother’s Day qualifies as that little mama’s first legit Mother’s Day. Whether you have a bestie who is in her first trimester or about to pop, it’s time to start searching for the perfect Mother’s Day gift. And because rocking a bump is hard work, you’ll want something to help her relax and feel prepared for the months to come. Take a look at these 13 Mother’s Day gifts that are perfect for any soon-to-be mama.
2. Organic Diapers ($14): Any mom will tell you that you can never have too many diapers. Gift her some patterned, eco-friendly ones that you know will be good for the baby.
4. The Belly Book ($11): Pregnancy is a magical-yet-difficult time. Help the soon-to-be mom record all the pros and cons with this nine-month journal.
5. Knitting E-Class ($20): Not only will this be a source of entertainment, but she’ll get some nice baby stuff out of it too. That’s definitely a win-win.
9. Organic Nursing Scarf ($60): Scarves are a new mama’s best friend. Not only do they make a fashion statement, but they also act as a stylish and functional nursing cover.
13. Subscription Box ($30): Gift your pregger pal with a monthly subscription box to keep her happy and healthy. With everything from pre-natal fitness DVDs to maternity wear, these goodies are sure to keep her and the baby in good spirits.
A century ago, you would have gotten some strange looks if you named your daughter Brooklyn — and not just because the borough wasn’t yet a hipster enclave.
Today, babies with place names are everywhere. While Brooklyn is arguably the No. 1 geographic name, you’ll find plenty of kids named Austin, Savannah, Hudson and London roaming America‘s playgrounds. (And a few named America too.)
By David Schmidt
Since it began in 2011, the HBO drama Game of Thrones has affected the lives of millions of people in some way or another. Some cried for hours when their favorite characters died; some even had Game of Thrones-themed weddings.
But others went the extra mile—not only has the TV show been a part of their lives, but they have made sure that it will be a part of the lives of their children, too.
By naming their babies after the fictional Game of Thrones characters. That’s right—children of generations to come will have playdates with little Khaleesis, and hopefully the future Joffreys will make a point to show more kindness than their namesake.