upswingbabynames Berry Juice profile image

Baby Names that Bridge Generations: Allison and Kyle

posted by: upswingbabynames View all posts by this author

comments

9 Responses to “Baby Names that Bridge Generations: Allison and Kyle”

loislane1222 Says:

June 20th, 2014 at 5:13 am

Abigail and Abby might be one. I know several moms named Abby. And I know tons of little girls named Abby, Abbie and Abigail.

gabbygrace1915 Says:

June 20th, 2014 at 9:19 am

I definitely think Sarah would be one!! I know a couple of newer moms named Sarah, but I can still totally see Sarah on a new born!

KatieSpills Says:

June 20th, 2014 at 11:53 am

I think Ryan would definitely be a name that’s both dad and baby friendly. I’d also consider my name Kate/Katie to be a crossover as I’ve met many women my age and girls my daughter’s age with my name.

SparkleNinja18 Says:

June 20th, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Elizabeth, Victoria, Hannah, etc. My name, Abby (Abigael or Abigail, the original spelling) is also one.

tararyaz Says:

June 20th, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I consider myself in the “mom gen” as well, but I guess I’m more on the younger end of that spectrum because Debbie feels older than me. I have heard Allison on newborns & kids as well as Emily, Amy and Amanda. I think a lot of the names in my gen are nearly classic. Of course Katie, Victoria, Elizabeth, Margaret ect can be babies, moms or grandmas because they are absolutely classics, but the nickname picks are a bit revealing. To me Beth or Liz are older than Libby or Bette (unless Libby & Bette are great-grandmas :)) I think that Jennifer, Jessica, Lauren, Stephanie and the like are pretty classic despite their dated rep. Once the classmate associate chills out and they have more of a family-name feel I think they’re the ones we’ll hear more & more as the years go on.

NaomiNY Says:

June 21st, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I know people with the following names:
Allison (sister)
Eric (cousin and friend)
Brian (friend)
Shawn (friend)
Meagan (friend)
Natalie (friend’s mom)

Other names that might cross over generationally:
Elizabeth (my middle name, a friend’s middle name, and my maternal great-grandmother’s name)
Joshua (friend)
Caitlin (friend)
Siobhan (friend)
Nicole (friend)
Matthew (cousin and friend)
Samuel (7th & 8th grade classmate)
Samantha (Samuel’s cousin, another 7th & 8th grade classmate)
Leah (friend)
Dana (cousin)
Timothy (friend)
Miles (friend)
Michael (great-uncle)
Joseph (friend, great-grandfather, uncle)
Benjamin (friend)
Mark (cousins)
Robert (friend, cousin)
Amanda (friend, cousin)

bonfireazalea Says:

June 22nd, 2014 at 1:07 am

That’s a great description for names like that. I was saying something along those lines on the recent thread about whether Emily was/would be dated- I could imagine a newborn to 30s/40s Emily. All classic names technically fit into this category… Some names like Jennifer and Melanie feel dated but actually have been in the top 100 for decades and still are.

tmaire Says:

June 22nd, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I was born in the mid 80s and grew up with Brookes – and I’ve met babies with that name (but no grandmas) and other names that fit from my experience (80s to present) are

Kayla