Ancient Roman Names: Nameberry Picks

comments

24 Responses to “Ancient Roman Names: Nameberry Picks”

anna.bliss Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 12:05 am

I really like Justus! I am falling in love with the Roman inspired Romilly too.

Rin Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 2:01 am

Rufus & Felix are my favourites from this post.

rachel27 Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 4:07 am

There are so many great names, there. I love Vita, Rufus, Felix, Romulus, and Octavia. Justus is pretty cool, too.

hayleysaunt Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 4:13 am

I love Felix, Rufus, Livia, and my absolute favorite from this list: Octavia.

AvieGrace Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 5:55 am

I am entering Latin iv in the fall and it is really interesting to hear about all of the different names! Aside from the ones involved in history (Augustus, Tarquinius, claudius, etc.) and the occasional interesting one we get in a Catullus poem like Lesbia, we only ever hear the super common names like marcus, sextus, cornelius, aurelius, julius, and the feminine versions of before mentioned names.

aunt_ning Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 6:52 am

I love the name Livia but she would spend her whole life going. No its Livia, like Olivia but with out the O

momsheart Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 7:38 am

I really like Livia, but I agree it’s just too close to Olivia to be unique right now.

I also love Felix, and it’s the maiden name of my husband’s grandmother, but I can’t get him on board with it.

Mego0801 Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 7:58 am

Love Antonia, but it would sound silly in my part of the country! I love Justus as well, it would be a great way to honor a relative named Justin, and I think I fits better as a middle name than Justin.

Trustedwriter Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 9:28 am

Ahhhh, I love all of these!! (Except Augustus – can’t help thinking of Gloop – and Tatiana and Tanaquil. But all the rest I love.) <3

Mischa Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 9:58 am

I’ve always loved ancient Roman names (along with Greek) and there are some gems on this blog:

Faves

Justus
Urban

Most Interesting Name

Tanaquil

Alexia Mae Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 10:26 am

I like Justus, but every time I think it would get confused with Justice.

Flick Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 11:33 am

I love Felix, Livia, Octavia….You didn;t add Drusilla, I LOVE Drusilla.

I know a guy named Romulus whose my age. It’s weird because his siblings have totaly normal 70′s / 80′s names.

FablesofLove Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 1:18 pm

No!!!!!!! I’ve loved the name Cassius for years and now you’ve used it on a list. Hopefully it won’t catch on.

saraallison Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I love the name Romola, which wasn’t included but is def related to Romulus.

meepallie Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Love these.
I cracked up a little with the Romulus pic. Yes, I know it’s a famous piece of history, it was just a little bit of a surprise!

tavn Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I think Lucan deserved to be on the list. Or at least Lucanus with Lucan being the more modern form. DH and I have loved this name for years and may use it as a first name, but most definitely a middle name.

It would’ve been nice to see Aeson on the list, although, it’s technically Ancient Greek, not Ancient Roman. Either way, it’s been my favorite name for yearrrrrrrrrrrrrs.

auroradawn Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Nice list. I really like Aurelia/Aurelius, Cassius and Livia. I prefer Remus to Romulus, and one of my favorite Roman names is Lucius!

GirlyMegz Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Fablesoflove :I named my son Cassius 2 years ago (pronounced Ka-see-us)(apparently the proper roman Pronunciation). That year alone 15 boys in my canadian province where named the same. I had never even heard of the name before, unfortunatly it is on the rise. Also it went from being #998 in on the SSA list, in 2009, to #876 last year

NaviZ Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I was always made fun of by my sisters for loving the name Octavia! I am glad it’s getting some attention! (Just not too much, please) :)

amandaberry Says:

June 22nd, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I love this post! I took Latin throughout high school and college and always thought the Roman names were great.
Some other names from the old textbook:
Quintus
Flavius/Flavia
Titus
Belimicus
Tacitus

Scrambledmegs Says:

June 25th, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I love so many of these! This is definitely the new trend for boy names. I’ve loved Augustus, Felix, and Rufus for years, so I hope they don’t become obnoxiously popular.

I’d go Greek and choose Lydia over Livia.

originofnames Says:

June 27th, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I like ANTONIA but have always been more fond of VICTORIA or OLIVIA.

neuilly Says:

July 1st, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Aurelia and Felix are two of my all-time favorite names!

I also am quite fond of Cassia.

Poppaea Says:

September 14th, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Don’t forget the Harry Potter influence: characters named Albus, Rubeus, Severus, Remus. There are wonderful Latin names; I remember one from my Latin book: Cominia Tyche. And there’s also Calpurnia (Caesar’s wife).