Here at Nameberry, we know a lot about name obsession: We’ve been pretty obsessive about the subject ourselves for as long as we can remember. And one of the great things about running this site is that it’s introduced us to a lot of fellow obsessive name people. Maybe you’re one of them?
Here, 19 signs:
1. You’ve memorized the Social Security Top 1000 names. And you’re fully prepared to take the quiz.
2. American baby name books weren’t enough for you, so you’ve also amassed a collection of British, Australian, French, Dutch, Portuguese, and one Japanese baby name book. In Japanese.
3. You’ve made a spreadsheet to analyze the results of your online baby name polls.
4. Not only do you have your first baby named, but you have all his or her brothers and sisters named too. And you’re not even pregnant yet.
5. You watch every minute of movie credit scrolls looking for new names, down to the very last third assistant gaffer.
7. You get so excited when any friend, family member, or even distant acquaintance is expecting: Nine months of baby name talk ahead — yay!!!!
9. You have favorite names for every letter of the alphabet. Plus runners up.
10. Should you have twins in any gender combination, you’ve got the names covered. Triplets too. As well as octuplets.
11. Forget mutual goals and sexual compatibility: By the third date, you need to be sure the other person shares your taste in names.
12. When you’re stressed out, you recite your favorite names in order of preference.
13. You think the hospital should let you come in and name every baby who doesn’t have a name within 24 hours after birth.
14. Those celebrities who don’t announce their baby’s name for days, weeks, months? They deserve to have their celebrity status taken away.
15. You have a google alert set for the phrase “baby names”. Also the phrases girl names, boy names, popular names, and simply, names.
16. When you’re lying awake in the middle of the night, you reorder your Top 10 list.
17. You’ve combined spelling variations to construct an alternate popularity list: Why doesn’t everyone realize that, if you combine all the spellings of Aiden, it’s actually Number 1?
18. You think it’s terrible when people judge others by their job or their clothes. The only valid way to judge other people is on the basis of their name!
19. You’ve written to Nameberry suggesting new names for the database: 50,000 isn’t nearly enough!
How many of these describe you?