Nephele Berry Juice profile image

100 Top Word Names of 2012: Hunter, Hope–and Henry?

posted by: Nephele View all posts by this author

comments

12 Responses to “100 Top Word Names of 2012: Hunter, Hope–and Henry?”

Erinm Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 8:51 am

Amelia= congenital absence of an arm or leg… What?!! That’s horrible. Noooooooooo!

dramagrl19 Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 9:01 am

Wow, this was a very interesting article! I didn’t now there were boys named Lily and girls named Alan! Plus, I had no idea that. Some of these were even words. Thanks, Nephele! :)

R_J Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 9:13 am

All the -er ones made me giggle, especially Conner.

spotlightstarlit Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 11:08 am

Weirdly enough, WWF does not accept June as a word! Weird.

Nephele Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 11:16 am

@ Erinm: LOL! Yes, that dictionary definition behind the beloved name “Amelia” is a bit disturbing! Another pretty name that doubles as a medical term (which didn’t make the Top 100 list) is “Alexia,” which means: “a cerebral disorder marked by the loss of the ability to read.”

@ dramagrl19: I also always find it surprising to see the number of apparently “switched” genders for names reported annually by the Social Security Administration. I imagine that much of it is due to baby genders being reported inaccurately by hospitals, etc. While I’m pretty liberal-minded about naming, I nevertheless kind of shudder to think that there might be that many parents naming their boys “Lily” and their girls “Alan.”

@ R_J: Yep, there are some giggle-worthy ones in there! :)

@ spotlightstarlit: I think the reason why WWF doesn’t accept “June” as a word is because it is a proper noun. All names are actually words, too – but they are also proper nouns (that get capitalized).

Mischa Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Personally, I think there is a great difference between well-established names like Alexander and Abigail and actual long-standing words like Hunter and Chase and I’m shocked that there even included in a list of “word names”. I don’t consider the former “words” at all. If the names were in existence long before they were ever attached to some other modern definition then they remain just what they are – names. How can one give Alexander “the defender of mankind” the definition of “a cocktail”? Have parents been giving their sons this name for thousands of years because they like to drink? Sorry it doesn’t wash with me. Abigail is another example. It was a Biblical name meaning “a father’s joy” long before it became a literary name to denote a “lady’s maid”. And I think that association is long gone judging by how popular the name has become. I’m skeptical about many so-called “words” on this list and I’m sure people who name their children Benjamin, Henry, Charlotte, Molly, Peter, Amelia, Dominick and Timothy haven’t even heard of the “words” mentioned in this blog.

niteowl13 Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Oh wow! I wanted to publish a baby name book and Names found in the dictionary was going to be one of the sections in it! Very cool
I was going to add in words like carry – Cary/Carrie and bob – Bob. Actual words that we use that are people’s names. :)

Nephele Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 1:43 pm

@ Mischa: Yes, obviously people haven’t giving their children these names because they find the alternative dictionary meanings appealing. LOL! I did state in my introduction to this listing that this compilation is based on those names which are also accepted as “words” for the multi-player game “Words with Friends,” and that the definitions given are not in every case based on the actual etymologies of the names. This compilation is intended to amuse and surprise.

@ niteowl13: Sounds like a fun project!

VegasCountryQueen Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Apparently according to WWF, Kyle is not a word. But it is. It is a narrow channel of water (like a stream.)

Nephele Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 8:23 pm

@ VegasCountryQueen: You’re right! I would have thought WWF didn’t include “kyle” because it’s a Scottish word, but then WWF does include “ava” (Ava being the second most popular name on my list) which is also a Scottish word. Haha – go figure!

Saracita00 Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I thought this was a really amusing article. Thanks!

tori101 Says:

November 14th, 2013 at 9:40 am

Really amusing read! My name is Victoria and I laughed when I saw that this name is the word for a light carriage. Just seems so random….