100+ Classic Girls’ Names — below the Top 1000

comments

32 Responses to “100+ Classic Girls’ Names — below the Top 1000”

geeknamezyo Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Wow–this was almost like reading my own long list; I have half of these on it!

sarahmezz Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 11:45 pm

These names are all outside of the US Top 1000? What? Curiously, I wonder where these names fall in rank in the UK Top 1000. A lot lower, I’m guessing.

Here’s names that are on my current list…

Agatha
May
Ophelia
Rosalind
Susannah
Wilhelmina
Winifred

So many more I could also see being used quite easily. In fact, there’s hardly an odd name amongst them.

augusta_lee Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Fabulous list! So many of my favorites on here.

I would use Aurelia, Mercy (adore this name — my only qualm is that I’m not religious), Mabel, Margot/Margo, Janet, Cordelia, Ramona, Susannah, Lucinda (love the idea of the nn Indy), Louise and Louisa (can’t decide which I prefer!), Ophelia, Clio, Guinevere, Harriet, Octavia, Joan and Jean, Winifred, Polly, Phaedra, and Hero.

I would also suggest the addition of Emmeline, Morgana, Carlotta, Margery (it’s been in use since the Middle Ages; you can’t get more classic than that!), Rosemary, Rosamund, Eugenia, Mirabel, Wilhelmina, Maxine, Viola, Augusta (naturally ;D), Dorothea, Junia, Esmeralda, and Faye.

awkwardinpink Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 6:15 am

Happy to see my own name on this list!

Dantea Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 6:21 am

I love these ones and I’ll * the ones that have been on our list at some point or other:

Aurelia
Astrid
Roxanne
Margo * — on there currently
Marian*
Robin — prefer on a boy
Constance
Isadora — prefer in it’s original Isidora (Isi for Isis)
Flora*
Cleo and Clio — love them both but must point out they aren’t variations of the same name, they have different meanings and history
Ariadne
Imogen*
Guinevere* — still on there actually
Magdalene — prefer Magdalena
Olympia
Eulalia
Cornelia*
Sybil
Hero
Lucretia

There’s a few on there I wouldn’t consider classic:

to the highest number of baby girls in the U.S. in 2012 (Aurelia, at 250) to the least (Petal, used for just 5).

India
Sheila
Petal

Pam Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 6:45 am

Augusta Lee, good ideas for additions. When I set out to construct this list, I was surprised at how many wonderful classic names (for boys too) were below the Top 1000. And I too can never decide whether I prefer Louise or Louisa!

lettucehead Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 7:09 am

And don’t forget Elsbeth/Elspeth!
(Although while they may be considered variants of Elizabeth, they are also clearly names in their own right.).

Admittedly, I may be a bit biased as my new daughter is named Elsbeth. :)

I found Elsbeth a solid, interesting, but unusual name that lent itself both to a reflection of my family’s ethnic background, but also some great nicknames!

Verity may be another beloved name of mine that deserves mention on this list.

LuMary Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 8:52 am

I love a lot of these under the radar classics. For some time, I’ve liked some of the mid-century Catholic appellations:

Noreen
Mary Rose
Marianne
Mary Jo
Bernadette
Bridget (which has resurfaced)

LuMary Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 8:56 am

Also:

Rosemarie, Rosemary
Marie (by itself)

miloowen Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 9:24 am

I used Louisa for my daughter’s middle name, so that is definitely the name I prefer!

So many names on this list that I have always loved and quite a few that have been names of students, especially in the African American community: Octavia, Portia, Lucretia, Keturah to name a few.

Some I prefer the original or a spelling variation — Amabel to Mabel, for example; Agathe and Blanca as opposed to Agatha and Blanche; Constant instead of Constance; Clemency instead of Clementine; Jennet instead of Janet.

I would love to see Jean and Joan return. Other names I like are Honour, Susanna, Cordelia, Mildred, Winifred, Jemima, Eulalia, Jessamine, Imogen, Cecily, Flora, and May.

I second the addition of Margery, who was the daughter of Robert the Bruce and who married Walter Stewart and founded the Scottish Stewart Kings. A very old name. And I love the name Elspeth, the name of a very dear friend of mine.

I would add Tamsin and Keziah to the list.

Giinkies Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 11:25 am

Rosemary is in the top 1000 though @ #603, why are so many commenters saying it isn’t? The spelling variant Rosemarie isn’t there.

bonfireazalea Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 11:35 am

Ahhh, several of those are on my favourites list! On one hand I want to see them get more use so I’d hear them more often (I get way too excited meeting people with my favourite names…), on another I don’t want them to be too popular by the time I use them (10+ years from now, if I have kids at all). I guess I’d like them to get somewhat more use so by then they’d be familiar but unusual.

jdouglas Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I’m surprised Hillary/Hilary are not in the top 1000!I am loving…

Mabel
Cordelia – currently one of my top girls choices!
Marian
Gillian – I’ve always preferred this spelling over the J version
Olympia
Dinah – although I can’t shake the image of Alice’s cat from Alice in Wonderland

Also loving Maxine and Margery from augusta_lee’s suggestions!!

Clementine is a GP of my husbands, it’s been slowly growing on me.

Ethel, Gertrude, Agatha, Blanche and Gretchen are names that I don’t think I’d ever be able to see on a baby or small child, 100% “Old Lady” names in my mind!

jtucker Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Some gorgeous names here! I especially adore:

Louisa
Rosalind
Guinevere
Flora

alphabetdem Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 1:43 pm

So many great names on this list…

My faves:
Aurelia
Cordelia
Clementine
Wilhelmina
Harriet (a longtime GP name of mine… IDK if I’d ever be brave enough to use it, or get my SO on board)

On the longer list:
Astrid
Mabel
Louisa
Antonia
Sally
India (SUCH a guilty pleasure name!)
Louise (slightly prefer this one to Louisa)
Ariadne
Theodora
Eulalia
Jessamine

But really, Mildred? Norma? Phyllis? Blanche? Ugh, no. Stahp.

theb4ndit Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 3:10 pm

This list contained many of my favorites, namely Ramona & Cordelia.

freddiethepink Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 3:21 pm

LOVE:
Mercy, Roxanne, Mabel, Antonia, Ramona, Isadora, Flora, Cleo, Ariadne, Cecily, Imogen, May, Magdalene, Theodora, Lavinia, Hermione, Winifred, Phaedra!

findemaxa13 Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I still find it hard to believe that Louise and Louisa are outside of the top 1000. Louise and Eulalia are both high on my list for a future daughter, although sadly I’ll only be able to use one, since they sound quite similar.

JH Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Finally showing Jill some love! :)

AwkwardinPink: Very happy to see my name on the list too!

augusta_lee Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 7:25 pm

@Giinkies — whoops, you’re right! I was checking the NB pages, and Rosemary isn’t listed as SSA-ranked. However, Nella, Opal, Sibyl, Isolde, Thea, Heloise, and Marigold are all out of the Top 1000!

Meyers2408 Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Etta wasn’t mentioned! Etta is my absolute favorite classic and one of the reasons being is because she is not in the top 1,000. Last I checked at least! Great list my favs are:
Wilhelmina
Mabel
Jemima
Harriet
Polly

gumtrees Says:

March 11th, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I still can’t believe Imogen isn’t in the top US 1000. It’s quite popular here in Australia.

Tina_and_Bert Says:

March 12th, 2014 at 8:32 am

Reading this list is like looking at my own list of favorites! Particularly: Florence, Margot, Bernadette, Pilar, Rosalind, Clementine, Winifred, Henrietta, Eulalia, Ramona, Marian, Constance, Jessamine, Blanche, Cecily, Imogen. Gorgeous names!

Pam Says:

March 12th, 2014 at 8:35 am

Makes sense that there are so many personal favorites for everyone on these lists — unusual/undiscovered classics are Very Nameberry!

Mischa Says:

March 12th, 2014 at 8:59 am

There are some wonderful names on this list. However, I would not define Petal as “classic”. Nameberry must have a different definition of the term “classic” if this word was included on the list.

LuMary Says:

March 12th, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Giinkies Says:
March 11th, 2014 at 11:25 am

Where is the top 1000 list?

Rosemarie isn’t a spelling variant of Rosemary. It’s Rose + French version of Mary.

Pam Says:

March 12th, 2014 at 1:31 pm

LuMary, here is the US Top 1000 List: http://nameberry.com/popular_names/US

You can find all the national popularity lists under the name tab at the top of the site, click on the first option Popular Names.

AnnaO Says:

March 12th, 2014 at 8:26 pm

This my dream list—so many of these names are on my list. Some of my favs: Theodora, May, Liv, Flora, Imogen. And by all means, add Margery. Such a gorgeous old but rarely used name.

maggiemary Says:

March 13th, 2014 at 11:55 am

So many gorgeous names, with these being ones I particularly love…

Aurelia
Agatha
Jemima
Jessamine

loislane1222 Says:

March 15th, 2014 at 6:38 am

I love this list, and I am THRILLED to see
some names listed of babies that I actually know. Parents ARE moving beyond Aidan and Ava!

I personally know babies named:
Cecily
Delia
Isadora
Pilar (Her full name is Pilar Franchesca — isn’t that lovely?)

(Personally, I adore Henrietta, but I don’t know if I could ever convince my husband to go for it.)

Looking forward to your boys’ list!

EloraLaszlo Says:

March 16th, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Aurelia – I love this name and Aurelius too and can’t decide which I like more.
Robin – I like this one but I still think of this as a boy name.
Marcella – I am currently loving Marceline which is similar.
Constance – I don’t like this name at all but I love Constantine. Strange right?
Isadora – I love this name but not sure on the spelling (Isadora vs Isidora).
Theodora – I love this name too and prefer the longer name to the nick name.
Hermione – I’ve been liking this name lately but not sure I would ever use it.

Writer90 Says:

November 21st, 2014 at 7:20 pm

I can’t help but think that when the ‘Harry Potter’ generation finally becomes mothers that names like Hermione and Minerva would sky rocket up the list.