Owen, a resonant Celtic name, has jumped almost three hundred places in a decade, with every indication it will go higher. Why do so many parents love Owen? It's a classic with a genuine history, yet it's right in step with the modern trend for two-syllable, n-ending boys' names. Owen-like choices with less tradition behind them include Logan, Bowen, and Rowan.
The legendary St. Owen was a Benedictine monk who was a follower of St. Chad.
Owen is hot in Hollywood, picked by such stars as Phoebe Cates and Kevin Kline, Ricki Lake, and Noah Wyle.
In Ireland, Owen may be spelled Eoin, certain to be hugely confusing in the U.S., and Eoghan. Other similar names include the Scottish Ewan or Euan and the French Ouen.
Full disclosure: One of us has a son named Owen, who loves his name.
Lists containing Owen:
- Two-Syllable Baby Names
- If You Like Dylan, You Might Love...
- Boy Names Trendier Than You Think
- The O Names
- Vowel Baby Names for Boys
- Yupster Baby Names for Boys
- If You Like Jordan, You Might Love...
- If You Like Noah, You Might Love...
- Vintage Baby Names for Boys
- Saints' Names For Boys